Monday, May 10, 2010

A Final Space: Ethelbert, MB


A Google search of Ethelbert, Manitoba does not yield very darn much. Though is it sad that 71,400 results doesn't count as much these days? And to be fair, I did not expect Ethelbert to real in so many results. In comparison, Swan River yields 72,600 results. So pretty much the same. Toronto, Ontario: 24,400,000. Guess I live in a small town.

Back to Ethelbert.

Wikipedia tells me that Ethelbert is 370 km northwest of Winnipeg and 60 km north of Dauphin. It certainly didn't feel like I was driving north when I stopped off there after being in Dauphin, but the sky can be so tricky when it's cloudy out. Either way, point is: Ethelbert has this bizarre little cemetery.

Before I go any further, it might be worth while to explain that my grandmother passed on her love of cemeteries (particularly old ones) to me, and probably to my mother as well. I distinctly remember going to little prairie cemeteries with her when I was little, reading over the names, wondering what happened in certain years that so many people died, and piecing together the family connections through maiden names. Maybe not your average bonding experience, but important and wonderful all the same.


So I'm driving back from a unforeseen trip to Dauphin, relishing the fact that I now know there are multitudes of tiny cemeteries on the way for me to explore, and I decide that Ethelbert shall be my first victim. It is probably the largest cemetery between Swan River and Dauphin, split into two distinct parts by a road leading into town. The larger side of the cemetery belongs to the Ukrainian Orthodox parish, and the smaller to the Ukrainian Catholics. It is very apparent that the Ukrainian Catholic side is newer. The headstones are modern. Though I didn't look at each of them, I would hazard a guess that none is older than the 1970s or 80s. The Ukrainian Orthodox side is a different matter. Probably almost four times the size of it's Catholic counterpart, this side boasts headstones from 1919 (of the headstones I was able to read), bronze crosses, a variety of headstones, very little English lettering and plenty of large stone seals atop the graves.


I believe there's always something to be found in graveyards. My mother has always told me the best places to find baby names are in graveyards and movie credits. I enjoy the stories though, and wondering why certain people died when they did. Particularly children. This may sound morbid, or lead some to believe that I'm less than well-adjusted. Still, the death of a child must have had a profound effect on their family and their community. I'm always curious to know why they died, and if it is something that is preventable now. It seems like childrens' headstones are polarized as well. On one hand, there are anonymous markings, a lamb carved from stone and the words Baby So-and-So beneath, perhaps the year or the age of the child. Others are monuments, with loving words, pictures, flowers, toys and memories strewn about the grave, no matter how long ago it was. Adults so often have the typical name, dates of birth and death, some nice comment on their heritage to their family (mother, daughter, grandmother) and scripture or a personal saying (Rest In Peace, "Oh balls"). But children don't seem to uphold those stereotypical tributes. Perhaps its because people are so overcome with shock and sadness, or the child is so young that there is nothing more to say than it died. Though, again, it must be that sad sadness that drives people to create beautiful, colourful shrines to the child.

This is why I love the graves of babies. They leave me thinking.


Who was Dennis Syrnyk? Did he have any siblings? If he did, did they have their own personalized rhymes spoken to them before they fell asleep at night? And if he was an only child, did his parents blood line die with him?

Dennis, why didn't you make it past 6 years old?

The rest of the graveyard experience wasn't particularly different than others I've seen in the past. Plain and eleborate headstones, bronze crosses, and loads of Ukrainian that I don't understand. Still, a very enjoyable stop. If I'd had more time, perhaps I'd have more observations. Anyways, here is the rest of my photographic documentation, or at least those pieces I liked best.

Please enjoy.







No comments:

Post a Comment